Scalloped potatoes used to be my guilty comfort food so I decided to change it up. I revisited an old recipe, and made it into a simple dairy free version. Cashews bring a creamy texture while nutritional yeasts adds the cheesy taste that scalloped potatoes are known for. This recipe takes virtually no prep time so you can set it and forget it.
- Nutribullet or Blender
- 2 lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes
- ¾ Cup Cashews Raw and Unsalted
- 1¾ Cup Hot Water
- 2½ Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 3 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ Tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tsp Salt
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Add the cashews and hot water to a blender and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. This will soften the cashews before blending.
- While the cashews soak, slice the potatoes into ⅛ inch pieces. This is easier with a mandolin slicer, but can be done with a knife if you're patient enough.
- Transfer potato slices into a baking dish, and spread them evenly across the dish.
- Add the nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and salt to the blender then blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture over the potatoes. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove the aluminum foil, raise the heat to 400°F, and bake for an additional 10 minutes.