We’ve all heard of buffalo cauliflower, but these buffalo Brussels sprouts are so different. The first question I know you’re thinking is, “do they taste like chicken wings?” Absolutely NOT. The preconceived idea that battered, buffalo anything must taste like chicken is crazy. Of course it doesn’t taste like chicken, it’s a Brussels sprout, but I’m not trying to make it taste like chicken.
If you’re not a big fan of Brussels sprouts, this is a great way to ease into it. My boyfriend hates them with a passion. He tried these and admitted they’re pretty good. So this recipe is 100% omnivore approved!
Buffalo Garlic Brussels Sprouts
- 2 lbs Brussels Sprouts trimmed
- Non Dairy Ranch for serving
For the Batter
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a large baking sheet with Parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix the almond milk and apple cider vinegar. Let it sit for 2-3 minutes or until the curdles are visible.
- In a separate, larger bowl, combine flour and corn starch.
- Add 3 tsp of hot sauce to the almond milk mixture then pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredient bowl. Whisk until no lumps remain.
- Add bread crumbs to a separate bowl.
- Wash and trim the Brussels sprouts and cut into fourths.
- Dump all Brussels sprouts in batter until well coated. Let any extra batter fall off as you remove each one to dip into bread crumbs and coat all sides.
- Place battered, breaded Brussels sprouts on the baking sheet and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, flip, and bake for an additional 12-15 minutes or until crispy.
- To prepare the sauce, add the minced garlic cloves into a sauce pan with ½ tsp of olive oil or just enough to make sure the garlic doesn't stick. Don't go crazy.
- After 1-2 minutes add the hot sauce, honey, and soy sauce. Warm until aromatic or about 2-3 minutes.
- Once the Brussels are removed from the oven toss them in the sauce and serve while hot.